QuickBooks 2024 is set to launch in early 2023, bringing exciting new features and upgrades to Intuit’s popular small business accounting software. For longtime QuickBooks users, moving to the latest version may seem daunting. However, with proper planning and preparation, transitioning your accounting to QuickBooks 2024 doesn’t have to be painful. Here is a step-by-step guide to smoothly upgrade to QuickBooks 2024.
Back Up Your QuickBooks Data
The first and most crucial step is to back up your QuickBooks 2024 data. This provides a safety net in case any issues emerge during the upgrade.
To backup your data:
- Launch QuickBooks and go to File > Back Up Company > Create Local Backup. Select a location on your computer or external hard drive to save the backup file.
- Alternatively, use QuickBooks Online Backup to backup your data to the cloud. This option provides offsite storage and additional protection.
- Verify the backup file was created properly by opening it on a separate computer if possible. Make sure it contains all of your company data.
Backing up properly ensures you have a copy of your critical accounting records and can recover if the upgrade causes data corruption issues.
Install the QuickBooks 2024 Update
Once your data is backed up, you can proceed to install the new QuickBooks 2024 update:
- Download the QuickBooks 2024 update from the Intuit website once it is released. The download is typically 100MB or more.
- Close any open programs, including QuickBooks. The update may fail if QuickBooks is running.
- Run the QuickBooks update installer and follow the on-screen instructions. A progress bar will display as the update is applied.
- When the installation completes, launch QuickBooks 2024. It may need to configure your company file so allow time for this process.
Take things slow and do not rush this step. Reboot your computer after installing for the changes to fully take effect.
Review New QuickBooks 2024 Features
Before diving into your books, take time to review what’s new in QuickBooks 2024:
- The homepage has been redesigned to offer new insight into your business’s performance. Spend time reviewing the charts and graphs available.
- Bank reconciliation is now automated to save you time matching transactions. Review the settings to enable automatic matching.
- Advanced reporting allows you to drill into the details of your financial data. Explore the new customization options available.
- Improved search makes finding transactions much easier. Try searching by vendor, amount, date, etc.
Familiarize yourself with key enhancements so you can take full advantage of the latest features.
Clean Up Your Company File
With major software upgrades, it is best practice to clean up your company file. Delete old unused lists, transactions, and reports to streamline your file.
- Run an Audit to identify errors and discrepancies in need of review.
- Delete old unused accounts, inactive customers/vendors, stale transactions, etc.
- Remove customizations, memorized reports, and custom fields no longer needed.
- Organize Lists and Items so your most commonly used ones are at the top.
Take time to declutter and optimize your file for the new version.
Verify Conversion of All Data and Settings
Once in QuickBooks Upgrade 2024, verify all of your company data and preferences converted properly:
- Spot check transactions from last fiscal year to ensure they carried over.
- Confirm bank and credit card accounts are still linked properly.
- Review employee setup, pay rates, payroll items, etc.
- Validate preferences for reports, invoices, estimates, etc.
- Print some reports and forms to check formatting and data accuracy.
By comprehensively reviewing your data, you can catch any conversion issues promptly.
Set Up Users and Access Permissions
If you utilize QuickBook’s user feature for managing access, take time to configure it in the new version:
- Recreate all users in QuickBooks 2024 and reset permissions.
- Update passwords and login credentials.
- Confirm customized roles and permissions are still in place.
Properly configuring users prevents unauthorized access and ensures every employee has the right level of access.
Get Help From Intuit Support If Needed
Despite best efforts, you may encounter hiccups in the upgrade process. If so, leverage Intuit’s customer support resources:
- Review the transition guide Intuit publishes for common troubleshooting tips.
- Search QuickBooks community forums to see if other users have encountered your issue.
- Call Intuit support and explain the specific problem. They can often resolve data corruption errors.
Don’t hesitate to utilize Intuit’s extensive customer support network before the frustration mounts.
Transitioning to significant software updates like QuickBooks 2024 takes planning and care. Following these steps will help you upgrade your accounting system smoothly and prevent potential data loss headaches. With a modernized interface and enhanced features, QuickBooks 2024 will make managing your business finances easier than ever. By taking time to properly install the update and validate your data, you can ensure QuickBooks 2024 gets off to the right start.